Law Offices of William W. Green & Associates
Phone 714-464-6903
Toll Free 866-543-7598

Hablamos Español - 24 Hours

Home, Work or Hospital Visits

FacebookGoogle Plus

Free Consultation

No-Hassle, No-Obligation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Pursuing a claim against the federal government

Suing someone sounds like it is straightforward; they did or failed to do something that resulted in your injury. You should be able to hold them accountable for your injuries but when it comes to suing governments an entirely different set of rules apply. Governments are considered "sovereign" which means that they are immune from most types of litigation. This post will go over how you pursue litigation against the federal government.

The federal and state governments are immune from litigation unless they agree to become liable. Luckily, the federal government did that with the passing of the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). The FTCA permits people to recover against the government for claims relating to wrongful death, personal injury, and property damage that is caused by a federal employee acting in her capacity or role in employment.

So how do you know if an employee was working within her capacity? If her job requires her to do what happened or if a supervisor told her to do it, it was within the scope or capacity of her job. The question sounds straightforward, but it can get rather complicated. Generally, during the injury, she must have been doing something for a government purpose.

These injuries include slips and falls on the federal property. The government is under an obligation to ensure that its property is safe for regular use.

If you were injured on federal property due to a dangerous property condition, then you may want to speak to an attorney. Claims under the FTCA are complicated and not entirely intuitive. A lawyer can help you navigate the various federal rules that could result in a dismissal of your case. The last thing you need is a delay in your right to compensation. You need those funds to pay your medical bills and get your life back in order. An attorney can help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

Law Offices of William W. Green & Associates
505 S. Villa Real
Anaheim, CA 92807

Phone: 714-464-6903
Toll Free: 866-543-7598
Anaheim Law Office Map

Connect With Us

FacebookGoogle Plus