Law Offices of William W. Green & Associates
Phone 714-464-6903
Toll Free 866-543-7598

Hablamos Español - 24 Hours

Home, Work or Hospital Visits

FacebookGoogle Plus

Free Consultation

No-Hassle, No-Obligation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

What to do after getting hurt at work

When working in an industry where your job is inherently dangerous, statistics show that you have a higher risk for getting injured on the job.

Understanding your and your employer's responsibilities will help you to receive all the benefits you are entitled to under the law.

Right away

If you are injured in California, you should immediately:

  • Get the emergency medical attention you need. Don't put off visiting the doctor for a day or two because you wouldn't want to be a bother or because you think going to work is more important. An untreated injury can end up keeping you out of work longer than addressing it immediately.
  • Notify your company. Follow your employer's procedures on whom to contact in case of a workplace injury, but usually your direct supervisor is adequate to receive the initial verbal notice.

The next day

You should not stop after notifying your employer.The day or in recent days to follow:

  • You need to fill out at Workers' Compensation Claim Form (DWC 1) the day after you are injured. The form has to be given to you by your employer within 24 hours of being notified of the injury. Give the form back to your employer. It is best to do this in person to guarantee receipt. If you have to mail it, send it with a return receipt notice.
  • Follow up with your doctor. Make sure the doctor treating you has experience with that type of injury and is aware that this is a workplace injury. They will be responsible for filling out reports, work with your employer, and determine what kind of transitional duty you are able to handle, if any, while recovering.
  • Your employer must fill out their part of the DWC 1 form and submit it a claims administrator within 24 hours of receiving the form back from you.

The next week

When you have filled out your form, what do you do in the days to follow?

  • Follow up with the claims adjuster to see if your claim has been approved. They have up to 90 days to respond, but checking in with the adjuster or your employer and asking for a status update is a good idea.
  • If you are going to be out of work for a while, find out what other kind of assistance for which you might be eligible. Check with your company or union on short-termand long-term disability insurance or file for unemployment or disability insurance from the state.
  • Stay in touch with your employer. Maintain open communication with your supervisor to ensure a smooth return to the workplace when the doctor clears you.

Just finding the right form can be intimidating, especially if you have never been previously hurt at work. Get help from an attorney. They can help you sort through the paperwork and receive all of the compensation that you are entitled to under the law, and also hold any responsible parties accountable.

Without the guidance of a lawyer, you could leave valuable money on the table - whether that is in your workers' compensation claim or by forgoing any additional compensation in a personal injury case. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

Law Offices of William W. Green & Associates
505 S. Villa Real
Anaheim, CA 92807

Phone: 714-464-6903
Toll Free: 866-543-7598
Anaheim Law Office Map

Connect With Us

FacebookGoogle Plus