Law Offices of William W. Green & Associates
Phone 714-464-6903
Toll Free 866-543-7598

Hablamos Español - 24 Hours

Home, Work or Hospital Visits

FacebookGoogle Plus

Free Consultation

No-Hassle, No-Obligation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Can you sue a city over a trip-and-fall accident?

Slip-and-fall accidents and trip-and-fall accidents are among the most common types of accidents that occur due to dangerous property conditions. When these types of accidents occur, many people choose to file premises liability suits against the property owners or those who are responsible for maintaining the properties on which the accidents occurred. In most cases, the properties in question are owned privately, but what happens if an accident occurs on a piece of property owned by a California public entity?

According to California law, public entities can be held liable for injuries caused by dangerous properties. However, this is only in some cases. In order for a city, county or other government entity to be held liable, three criteria must be met:

  • The property must be in a condition considered dangerous.
  • The poor condition must have created a reasonable risk of injury.
  • The condition of the property must be the result of negligence on behalf of a public employee, or the entity must have been notified of the danger and failed to take action.

Even when these criteria are met, public entities may still be able to claim to not be responsible for accidents and their resulting injuries. Entities do this by claiming immunity. Some of the types of immunity include:

  • Weather immunity.
  • Design immunity.
  • Exercise of discretion immunity.

If you sustained an injury on public property in California, you may be eligible to file a premises liability suit. Since simply determining whether you have a case is quite complex when the dangerous property is owned by a public entity, you may benefit from the help of a legal professional. Whether you suffered a trip-and-fall accident or another type of accident, an attorney can help you throughout the process.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

Law Offices of William W. Green & Associates
505 S. Villa Real
Anaheim, CA 92807

Phone: 714-464-6903
Toll Free: 866-543-7598
Anaheim Law Office Map

Connect With Us

FacebookGoogle Plus