Law Offices of William W. Green & Associates
Phone 714-464-6903
Toll Free 866-543-7598

Hablamos Español - 24 Hours

Home, Work or Hospital Visits

FacebookGoogle Plus

Free Consultation

No-Hassle, No-Obligation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Slip-and-fall accidents on public property involve unique issues

A dangerous property condition such as a wet floor or inadequate lighting can lead to serious injuries for which the victim might be able to recover compensation from the property owner. However, when the property owner is California or any government entity, there are special rules that must be followed in order to file a lawsuit.

Usually, someone injured because of the actions of a negligent property owner would contact an attorney and sue for damages. If the property owner is a municipality such as a city in Orange County, state law must be followed to the letter to avoid losing the right to sue.

Municipalities are protected from lawsuits by the principle of sovereign or government immunity. This principle means that governments cannot be sued unless they waive the protection by passage of a law. The legislation waiving the protection against lawsuits establishes rules that victims injured on government property must follow.

One of the most important things that someone who is the victim of hazardous conditions on government owned property should do is report it to the property owner immediately after the accident. If possible, police should be called to the scene in order to document that the accident actually occurred.

Before a lawsuit can be filed in a case in which the government is the negligent property owner, a notice must be filed with the municipality within six months of the accident. Failure to file the preliminary notice providing information about the accident to the government could result in the loss of the right to sue.

Premises liability claims arising from broken pavement, rolled-up mats or wet surfaces can become complex when the government is the property owner. A personal injury attorney can provide advice about your legal rights and the procedures you must follow to obtain compensation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

Law Offices of William W. Green & Associates
505 S. Villa Real
Anaheim, CA 92807

Phone: 714-464-6903
Toll Free: 866-543-7598
Anaheim Law Office Map

Connect With Us

FacebookGoogle Plus