I got injured at work. What should I do?

  1. REPORT YOUR INJURY TO YOUR EMPLOYER: You need to report the injury to your employer so that there is a record that an injury occurred at work. Your employer MUST provide you with a DWC1 form. This form will ask questions of how the injury occurred and what body parts you injured. REMEMBER TO STATE ALL YOUR INJURIES, NOT JUST THE BODY PART THAT HURTS THE MOST.
    1. CONTINUING TRAUMA: Many injuries do not occur on one specific date but are a continuing trauma due to stress and strain. With these types of injuries you cannot pinpoint the exact date that you were injured, but you certainly know that you have acquired an injury due to the constant pain you are feeling. This type of injury is known as a CT. Just like you would report a specific date of an injury, you need to report this type of injury to your employer.
      1. Very common example: A person gets injured at work. He does not report the injury and continues working. However, due to the injury he cannot perform his job obligations as he used to do before the injury. The employer notices and makes a wise business decision: "Why use this person who cannot perform up to a standard, when I can hire one who can?" So the injured worker gets fired. After being fired he files a Workers' Compensation (WC) claim against the employer. However, the case will be denied because the insurance company is now claiming that he filed a POST- TERMINATION CLAIM. He filed a claim not because he was injured but because he was fired.
      2. The other reason is that you will only aggravate your injury by not treating it.
      3. I DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY JOB. Many injured workers (I/W) think they will lose their job if they file a WC case. If your employer fires you while a WC case is pending and the reason for your firing was due to your injury, you have additional claims CIVILLY AND WITHIN THE WC SYSTEM. This type of claim is called a 132(a) Wrongful Termination. The Law Offices of William Green & Associates handles this type of claim and will guide you through all your claims and legal needs.
  2. DEMAND MEDICAL ATTENTION: Once you reported your injury you need to go to a doctor as soon as possible. YOUR EMPLOYER IS OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ATTENTION TO ADDRESS YOUR INDUSTRIAL INJURY. They will send you to an INDUSTRIAL DOCTOR whose interests are THE COMPANY'S INTERESTS WHICH ARE ADVERSE TO YOUR INTERESTS! So what should you do?
  3. GET AN ATTORNEY! You might tell yourself "Of course he is going to tell us to hire an attorney, he is one!" Although that might be true, getting an attorney has many benefits that will get you what you deserve as to monetary value and the medical attention you need to get you back to work so that you may provide for your family.

What are the benefits of getting an attorney?

Consider this:

  1. The attorney fees are 15 percent of your total settlement. Rest assured that your attorney's fees will be substantially less than the amount you will recover in comparison to not being represented by an attorney.
  2. YOUR INTEREST BECOMES YOUR ATTORNEY'S INTEREST: By paying attorney fees from your award, your attorney will represent you to the best of his or her ability and fight for you to get a better settlement. Why? Simple: The more you make the more he or she gets as attorney fees.
  3. BETTER MEDICAL ATTENTION: When you get injured at work you will be told to go to an industrial clinic. This clinic gets many of its patients from companies. Therefore, it is logical to assume that it wants to keep the companies happy so that it will keep getting business from them. Therefore, it will try to keep your medical attention to a minimum so that it may cut costs and send you back to work, although you are not ready to do so.
  4. The Law Offices of William Green & Associates has been in business for over 35 years. One of the many reasons we have been successful is that we know how to navigate the medical world and to send our clients to the right doctors to address the injured workers' injuries adequately.

  5. The employers have insurance companies to handle their WC cases. These insurance companies are highly motivated to protect their interests to minimize costs. Without an attorney they will take advantage of the fact that you have no expertise of the WC system. YOU NEED AN EXPERIENCED ATTORNEY TO PROTECT YOUR INTERESTS. The Law Offices of William Green & Associates has over 35 years of experience in successfully protecting I/W's interests.
  6. AVOIDING THE HASSLES OF DEALING WITH WC INSURANCE. When you are represented you will not be dealing with the insurance company. Your attorney will administer your case from beginning to end and will guide you through the process.
    1. WC insurance companies are a business, and like all businesses their main objective is to maximize profits and minimize costs. How do they do that? One of the ways they do that is to minimize the cost of YOUR future medical care and YOUR benefits. It is a normal custom for WC insurances to deny your claim in the hopes that you will vanish. We at the Law Offices of William Green & Associates will fight for you and your rights. A denied claim does not mean you are not entitled to rights, but it is a tactic by the defense to avoid costs. Such tactics and many more are used by the defense and WC insurance companies to avoid costs and litigation. Due to our over 35 years of experience we are aware of this and we will fight such tactics.